Explore the Train

Side view of Napa Valley Wine Train with mustard coloured flowers blooming in the foreground

On the Right Track

Railcars once used as first-class coaches for Northern Pacific Railway’s premiere trains—the North Coast Limited and the Northern Pacific Atlantic Express—and its Ski Train service from Denver to Winter Park now carry Wine Train passengers through the lush Napa Valley landscape. Built entirely out of steel in 1915 by the Pullman Standard Company, they were the height of technological advancement of their time, with electric lights, steam heat, and arched windows.

After acquiring them in 1987, the Napa Valley Wine Train undertook an extensive restoration project to restore and reimagine the cars—Honduran mahogany paneling, brass accents, etched glass partitions, and velveteen fabric armchairs. Luxurious interiors evoking the spirit of opulent rail travel at the beginning of the twentieth century.

  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Graphic of Napa Valley Wine Train
  • Cabernet Sauvignon train car featuring yellow velvet seats and wood accents

    Cabernet Sauvignon Lounge Car

    1011

    Originally built for the Northern Pacific Railway in 1915, this Pullman comes from the Denver Rio Grande. The car still bears its first owner's logo, the Northern Pacific Yin-Yang, and features original red glass windows that were uncovered when it was restored and an observation deck for guests to enjoy the beautiful Napa Valley weather. It was one of four cars on the Wine Train's inaugural trip on September 16, 1989.

  • Pristine table settings and beige interior of Tower Railcar on Napa Valley Wine Train

    Zinfandel Lounge Car

    1014

    One of the 1915 Pullmans that came from the Denver Rio Grande, originally built for the Northern Pacific Railway. It was added to the consist in 1991, the Napa Valley Wine Train’s third year of operation.

  • exterior of napa valley wine train

    Grappa Power Car

    480-R

    Originally an abandoned boxcar, the Power Car ensures constant power supply for the Train, operating lights, air conditioning, fans, and the kitchen. Aptly named after the strongest alcoholic beverage made from grapes, it is believed to be the only power car in existence that passengers can enter and walk through while in operation. It is the newest addition to the Napa Valley Wine Train’s consist, joining the daily runs in June 2013 after undergoing an 8-month renovation.

  • Photo of champagne vista dome train car which has floor to ceiling windows, velvet red seats, white table cloths on tables, a wine and champagne glass at each seat, and purple orchids on the tables. Outside the traincar is lush green vineyards.

    Champagne Vista Dome

    1085

    Built in 1952 as one of the first ten full dome cars constructed by Pullman Standard, the Vista Dome is a two-story rail car offering exclusive luxury dining upstairs and a state of the art kitchen downstairs. First in service on the Olympia Hiawatha, it was dubbed "The Columbia" when it sold to Canadian National, then to Via on the Super Continental. Tour Alaska renamed it "Mt. McKinley" before it went to California for the Sun Express and later to Amtrak. Its exterior was refurbished at the Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus train yard and it joined the line in 1997.

  • two lines of tables set for dinner with wine glasses on Napa Valley Wine Train's petit gourmet train car

    Le Petit Gourmet Dining Car

    1015

    Originally built for the Northern Pacific Railway in 1915, this Pullman comes from the Denver Rio Grande. Today, it boasts the largest capacity (72) and is one of the two main dining cars for our Gourmet Express Dining Journey, with tables for four along both sides of the car. It was added to the consist in 1990, the Napa Valley Wine Train's second year of operation.

  • executive chef grilling filet mignon in kitchen car on Napa Valley Wine Train

    Le Chef de Cuisine Kitchen Car

    1090

    The Wine Train's main kitchen car is a 1915 Pullman originally built for the Southern Pacific Railroad. It was acquired from the South Carolina Railroad Museum and converted to Kitchen Car. A mahogany passageway with windows allows guests to come and view the chefs in action, preparing all of the meals made fresh to order on board. This was one of the four cars on the first Wine Train that ran through the Napa Valley on September 16, 1989.

  • gourmet express train car on Napa Valley Wine Train with tables set for dinner with wine glasses

    Le Gourmet Express Dining Car

    1100

    The Gourmet Express Dining Car was originally built in 1917 as a reclined seating coach. Today, it is one of our two main dining cars for our Gourmet Express Dining Journey, with tables for two on one side and tables for four along the other. It was purchased by the Napa Valley Wine Train in the late 1980s from a private citizen. This was one of the four cars on the first Wine Train that ran through the Napa Valley on September 16, 1989.

  • Pristine table settings and beige interior of Tower Railcar on Napa Valley Wine Train

    Quattro Vino Car

    1052

    This 1915 Pullman rail car was the augural Quattro Vino Tour restored vintage rail car added to tour schedule in 2016. This rail car transports our guests on the Estate Tour as well as for special events. The car features mahogany table tops, leather and velvet upholstered seating, finely appointed restored vintage hardware and mirrors. This private car has a on-board kitchen and full bar.

  • merlot lounge Napa Valley Wine Train train car with yellow velvet seating and dark wood

    Merlot Lounge Car

    1017

    The Merlot Lounge Car is one of the 1915 Pullmans that came from the Denver Rio Grande, originally built for the Northern Pacific Railway. Today, this car is a comfortable lounge offering dessert and coffee service. It was added to the consist in 1990, the Napa Valley Wine Train's second year of operation.

  • chardonnay lounge car on Napa Valley Wine Train with yellow velvet seating and dark wood

    Chardonnay Lounge Car

    1018

    Originally built for the Northern Pacific Railway in 1915, this Pullman comes from the Denver Rio Grande. The car still bears its first owner's logo, the Northern Pacific Yin-Yang, and features original red glass windows that were uncovered when it was restored and an observation deck for guests to enjoy the beautiful Napa Valley weather. It was one of four cars on the Wine Train's inaugural trip on September 16, 1989.

  • FPA-4 Diesel Locomotive travelling through vineyard with green grass and yellow flowers

    FPA-4 Diesel Locomotives

    70, 71, and 72

    Our locomotives were built in Montréal, Canada, at Montreal Locomotive Works, the Canadian equivalent to the American Locomotive Company (ALCO). NVR70 was built in 1958 and 71,72 & 73 were built in 1959. Geared to operate at more than 90 mph, they were originally equipped with steam generators for heating passenger cars. The steam was replaced by our Head End Power (HEP) units, providing electricity for passenger cars until we added the Grappa power car in 2013.

  • Napa Valley Wine Train's Locomotive 73 travelling by vineyard with grey sky

    Locomotive 73

    73

    The only passenger locomotive to operate on CNG and one of the first locomotives to convert, ALCO Locomotive 73 is a clean-air locomotive that has saved more than 225,000 gallons of diesel. Acquired in such a state of disrepair that it was inoperable, the Napa Valley Wine Train started an experimental conversion to 60% natural gas and 40% diesel fuel mixture, and in 1999 the conversion became permanent. A total conversion of Locomotive 73 was completed and it was put into service using 100% Compressed Natural Gas on May 14, 2003.